Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Super Bowl Abuse

I’d like to thank Time for officially debunking the myth that domestic violence against women is at its highest on the Super Bowl. I’ve been crying against this myth ever since I first heard it, I just didn’t have any proof (I didn’t really look too hard either. I probably could have just searched google).

“In 1993 women’s advocacy groups, citing various reports about increased domestic violence on Super Bowl Sunday, prompted NBC to air a public-service announcement during its game coverage. But the Washington Post investigated and debunked the claims.”

The thing is the claim only makes sense before you actually think about it. Being upset and disappointed if your team is losing doesn’t make you angry and violent. Also, most people are at a party where, even if you’re a die hard fan, it’s still a party, there are still people around and it’s still festive. And finally, there are only two teams playing. During the regular season all 32 teams play which means 16 cities’ fans are upset their team lost, but in the Super Bowl only 1 city of die hard fans is upset (at least upset enough to consider approaching the level of violence). There is a higher rate of alcohol consumption on Super Bowl Sunday and I wonder if anyone has made a general correlation between above average drinking and domestic violence which could link Super Bowl Sunday. I could probably find this on google too, but I’ll let some else do that who cares more.

I like how time describes the myth as “domestic violence against women.” Because there is a topic which just doesn’t get enough national attention these days: Battered Husbands.
http://www.herwords.co.uk/battered_husbands.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home